I Believe in the Power of a Hug

Monica - Santa Maria, California

I believe in the power of a hug. Many people have different beliefs, or physical aspects have the power to alter an occasion, or even change it completely. A hug is a simple gesture whose powerfulness is overlooked. From my view, a hug has the power to comfort one who is fearful. Yet, help a person who is in physical pain that puts them in major discomfort.

When someone is stricken with fear, a hug is the best cure for a persons, I know this from personal experience. Since I have dealt with it on many occasions since I have a young daughter. There have been countless times when she has woken up scared from a dreams, or standing in the corner scared of a person she doesn’t know. She will either cry or simply just look scared. The only thing that I have realized that helps calm her down is giving her a hug. She feels safe in my arms, and I realized how powerful my hugs are because once I put my arms around her tiny little body she feels calm and relaxed. I feel exactly the same way when her little arms grasp on to me. Then she is able to either fall back asleep or simply say ‘hello’ to someone who use to scare her. I still feel the same way as my daughter because when my mother hugs me it comforts me and makes me realize the power of a mother’s love. Now, I have realized that the power of hugs my Mom has, I now possess as well.

Pain is being in excruciating comfort; I realized when I was a young child that a hug, even for a split second, makes everything okay. In the year of 2005 I recall a moment where I realized the true power a hug. I entered the emergency room, tears filling my eyes, and in the worst pain I ever felt in my life. I merely thought that I was just experiencing some bad food poisoning from the fake food I ate at Taco Bell. I was in the waiting area for a long time, my mom rubbing my back and hugging me reassuring me that everything will be okay. She was there throughout the countless ultrasounds, x-rays, and abdominal work up. Even though the pain still made me want to curl up in a ball, with the power of my mom’s hugs I felt safe knowing I will be okay. At the end of the long night, I got admitted into the hospital and ended up having surgery. With all my family there and all the hugs before and after surgery, I no longer felt worried or scared.

From these few experiences I witnessed that a hug has more power than most people expect. It is a simple gesture that has the effect to change lives of others. I believe in a hug. In my point of view the world would be a much better place if people were aware of the power a simple hug can have. If one feels scared, or in pain, a hug can make them feel better or even make them feel at ease and at peace.

I Believe in the Power of a Hug