Eric - Grover Beach, California

“This I Believe”

As a young child I could still remember some of the many sacrifices my mother has made for us, her family. Her every day seemed to be routine. I look back now and still probably have not appreciated her as much as she deserves. Her intensity and aggressiveness have disappeared, days are now slower than I remembered, her hands tired and worn, and more illnesses have overwhelmed her body. But nothing has stopped her; she continues to be the backbone of our family. She still works in the vineyards picking grapes under a hot sun warring down her fragile body.

At four-thirty in the morning I could remember waking up to noise in our kitchen, thinking “ah man, it’s already time..?”; Trying to get every last minute in bed before my mother came to wake me up. It almost never failed; she would pre-heat my pants, socks and shirts over the kitchen stove, so I didn’t feel the morning cold getting out of bed. I remember going into the living room couch to watch cartoons, and looking over to the kitchen were my mother would be fighting against time trying to put food together for her lunch, my father’s, my brother’s and myself. Not much longer, we were on our way to the babysitter as both parents rushed to get me inside so they would not be late for work. At around five-thirty in the evening I would be picked up and remember looking and smelling my family’s clothes, seeing how tired they were from braking their backs all day long. My mother would immediately start unpacking all of our lunches and begin washing Tupperware and cooking dinner for our family. By the time we sat at the dinner table it would already be six or seven o’ clock, she still had to take a shower and try to prepare what ever food she could scrape up for the next morning. Her days were very simple but hard, long and stressful. I am very proud of her, more so now.