Jakelyn - Santa Maria, California

I believe in my mother’s love and that her love can heal every pain that I have. I believe that my mother is my hero. I believe my mother is there for me when I need someone. I never really understood my mother. I always though she was there, just to not let me have any fun. Every time I wanted to do something she would always say no and this would always make me mad. For a long time I felt that she was like a police just watching everything I would do wrong.

One day, all of my thoughts changed. When I was in high school I was going out with a boy for about two years and half. When I would fight with my boyfriend or got mad at him I would never tell my mother because I thought she would yell at me and not understand. One day I can home from school crying my heart out because my boyfriend had broken up with me. I thought my world was going to end. It was the worse feeling at that moment. When I arrived at home I went straight to my room and lock the door. My mom would knock but I wouldn’t respond. A few hours later she would knock again and I wouldn’t bother to open the door or answer any of the questions she would ask me. Then finally I unlocked my door, she heard, walked in and sat next to me. My mother would not say a word to me. She would just stare and wait to see if I would tell her anything. Finally she asked me, “What is wrong”? And all I could do was cry. She started to cry with me, later she explained that she felt pain when she saw me crying and it would make her cry when I would cry.

When I was done purging my soul; I told her everything that had happened that day. At that moment I felt as if she was my best friend. She started to give me advice and comfort. The comfort I felt from her that day, I had not felt that comfort from her before. It made me very happy, as if I were able to trust her with everything. Suddenly, I believe that she was not there to be a police and guard me from everything but she was there to comfort me and be my best friend. I believe my mother is my supporter; she is there when I am sad and she is there when I need laughter. I believe my mother will always be there when I stumble and fall but help me keep on going. I believe in my mother’s love and what she has made me today.