Catherine - Gardners, Pennsylvania

The process of writing has taught me much, but most importantly, it’s taught me that that all human beings are interconnected. When one person creates something – whether it’s great writing or sculpture or any art – its truth touches us all, connects us all, lifts us all higher. Who hasn’t looked at any masterpiece and felt struck dumb with awe, and something inside us swells up like a mixture of joy and helium? So writing, to me, isn’t really a competitive act. Writing is about illuminating truths. At its best, it’s an act of inspiring others, who interpret truth in their own unique way, and in turn inspire others.

This interconnectedness isn’t limited to art. I believe its core is the human thread that runs from one person to the next and the next, and so on, infinitely, until the first is connected with the last. When one person helps another toward a better life, it lifts us all, makes us all better – just like great writing and great art. Helping others can range from heroic efforts to something as small as a smile. The truth of being human lies in our spirit, a spirit that is illuminated and strengthened whenever any of us does good for another.

We all need a lift, a lightening of our burden. Anyone who has helped another knows the elation of gratification; by helping others, we help ourselves, we lift ourselves higher.

It may sound corny, it may sound hokey. But it’s what I truly believe – we’re all in this together. We all need help sometimes. If you find yourself in a position to help someone, do it. Someday, someone may do the same for you. So give someone a boost, and it will lift us all.

And I don’t know about you, but I can always use some help . Even if it’s just a smile.