mario - san antonio, Texas
Themes: family, pleasure

I believe in the power of Caldo. That’s right, caldo. For those of you that aren’t from San Antonio, caldo is Spanish for soup…beef or chicken, with a bunch of vegetables, but it’s soup. And I believe in the power of caldo not for its medicinal capabilities but in something else that it provides. You see, as long as I can remember whenever my father, my “Pop” made caldo, it was an event. But it was not an event regarding the production of food but a family event. You see no one, not mom or “buelita” could make caldo like Pop did. My two sisters and I were always on standby for that call, “I’m making caldo” and here we come with our spouses and kids. So what you might ask? Well it was the vehicle that helped keep us close, as a family. It kept us in tune with what was going on in each other’s lives, the victories and defeats in our everyday battles, but we talked to each other not at each other. I think Pop knew that. That’s why his caldo affairs were strategically timed, about once a quarter or more often if any of us were having problems. It was fun.

So now closing in on 20 years after his death, no one is making caldo, not sure we really want to. But we’re all still close, thanks to mom, Pop and caldo. And me, we’ll I’ve been starting my own family tradition of sorts. I now believe in the power of bar b que.