Sherry - Union City, California

This I believe

I’ve learned that every pebble you stumble upon in life is an addition to life’s treasure box. – Age 16.

My life has not been perfect; in fact, it’s quite the opposite. With going through pain and making what people call “mistakes,” I’ve learned that really life is not a breeze. Many have said things like “live life to it’s fullest,” “the choice is yours,” and it has taken me a very long time to finally believe in its truth. From the time I was a little girl, everything felt hard on me and I was an outcast. My parents are first generation immigrants, so I needed a translator, and had many hearing and reading assessments, and I was clueless as to what they were for. This didn’t bother me the most though; my peers did. I realized there were the popular kids, the normal, or now more like indifferent kids, and people like me-outcasts, the so called “nerds,” “geeks,” and “freaks.” The looks that I got from my peers were enough for me to find myself hiding in my room crying everyday from being left out. I couldn’t let my parents know that I was not fitting in well at school. I wanted them to be the ones who thought I was normal like everyone else and having a happy childhood. I hid my tears and my pain, but I needed a way out.

I’m now sixteen and I have found the truth. Life is a choice, my choice. I can live life to its fullest. I have finally gotten fed up enough with being pushed around, or being left out and then crying about it. I’m tired of being weak and being the one that people reply, “I make fun of you because it’s easy, and you care,” when I ask them, “Why do you only make fun of me and not our other friends in our group?” I believe I hold the power of choice to not care and not be hurt by their words. I am now living the life I want, taking every moment of every day as part of the journey of my life. I believe in every piece of my life happening for a reason, for making me who I am today as mistakes aren’t mistakes, just some of those needed pieces. I’m living in the moment and I believe in making my life with every pebble I stumble upon because it’s a treasure that I add to myself, the treasure box. I believe in life. I believe in myself.