Edgar - Ann Arbor, Michigan

This I believe; to live a life without any stereotyping. Since the dawn of man; prejudice, hatred, fear, and misunderstanding have crept into different cultural societies. I want to live my life looking at people for who they are not what they are.

I was raised as being half African American and half Native American; I have gone through this life being accused of not being black enough, or acting too white. To me what is a color? What are the bases for stereotyping? Aren’t we all human? Is it right to group people together?

I believe it is always best to let who you are shine through; don’t be afraid to be different, and you don’t have to think or be like everyone else. Not letting society, media, or peers dictate who you are.

I have always tried look within a person; looking beyond their shell. I have learned that there are some who are shallow, only caring about vanity. There many who are selfish and arrogant; they care only about things concerning their own being. There are many who are misunderstood, or no one knows how to relate to them.

I have seen society’s eyes go blind toward people with disabilities, who have mental illnesses, if you are poor, obesity, unattractive, homeless, and even if you are a senior citizen. They are all victims of stereotyping; who sets these rules anyway?

I don’t understand how people would look at me, or other people, and immediately stereotype me for being something I am not; once glancing at me they already drew a conclusion that I am a certain way. I was always told never to judge a book by its cover.

But I believe that once you get to know me; you can look past my fleshly appearance, and see the heart and soul of who I really am.