Pioneering a Voice For The Voiceless

Vita - Libertyville, Illinois

I believe in order for a democracy to function at its fullest, every segment of the population must have a clear media voice. Seniors constitute 1.7 trillion annually of today’s world spending. In the last half century life expectancy has risen from 50 years to 82.5. 15% of the voting population is over 55 years old.

Seniors are redefining the golden years and are defying the stereotypes of aging. With better opportunities many are giving back to their communities. Meaningful volunteering is vital to their well-being. Now THERE’S a good reason to volunteer!!!

Having always been a crusader, seven years ago it was a natural evolution for me to pioneer a cable T.V. talk show, for seniors by seniors. The program (Senior Issues Etc.) aimed to raise the consciousness of seniors and the public at large. Our mission statement read, “To give voice to the voiceless”. At that time a huge portion of seniors were silent in the wings, too inhibited and subdued to speak out. A very large cowbell was a creative solution that I used to wake up the sleeping giant and get the message of a clear media voice across. When I was invited to speak at different groups about aging on T.V., I would ring the bell with a screeching bong and bark like a carnival barker, “Wake Up!! Wake UP!!” I considered myself to be a modern day version of Paul Revere, who yelled “Wake up, the British are coming!!” The baby boomers are coming. I got the message across by its shocking brassiness.

While pioneering this from the year 2000 I experienced an epiphany with the revelation of how many of my peers were unaware that we had longer lives and the responsibility to prepare a legacy for the next generation. This challenge has given me more belief and determination and a platform for my vision. My passion has released me from any self-involved bondage and connected me kinetically right at the cutting edge of today’s population changes.

Senior Issues Etc. has grown from a crew of four to 14 volunteers and we are a not-for-profit 501-C3 charitable production company with a continually expanding web site (www.srissues.org). The show is seen in Lake County and Evanston, Illinois.

As a role model I appreciate greatly the priceless treasure chest of resources our silver-haired fellowman has. Dedication and believing in my mission make me totally alive and aware of the vital contribution seniors are making toward a solution in today’s world.

The future of old people is no longer penury or dependence. Seniors have become turbines rather than the brakes of our community.

When you come to the end of your rope tie a knot and hang on because the best is yet to come!

Catch the spirit!

We’ve come a long way baby!