Julia - Tulsa, Oklahoma

This I Believe:

Beliefs. Such an ordinary and basic concept, yet when you are faced with putting them into words, you find that it’s not such an ordinary or basic task. I hold many beliefs that shape my life and consequently shape who I am as a person. But to put one’s beliefs into writing is a formidable task.

Beliefs are an extremely personal concept. Our beliefs define who we are and are what make us vulnerable. They are the very core of what make us each unique. My beliefs are who I am as an individual. Beliefs are what shape our self perception. Without our personal beliefs, we can not exist as a whole person. It is our beliefs which allow us to think critically for ourselves. Our beliefs are what shape our every day decisions and it is those decisions that determine the path of our life through the experiences that follow those decisions. Hence our beliefs shape what we become.

As a result, our beliefs are our power. “I believe” is the most powerful combination of words in the world. “I believe” is what drives motivation. “I believe” is what has the power to affect change on a global basis. When “I believe” is paired with action, anything is possible. Beliefs have the power to shape the world.

This I believe.