Deon - North Kansas City, Missouri

Music can be an inspiration to so many people, wherever they live in the world. It is a common ground for so many different cultures around the world, regardless of the genre of the music being played. I believe that music can help to bring different cultures together.

I come from a very musical background. My whole family sings or plays an instrument. I have always been surrounded by music in church, in school, and attending various musical events with my family. I have an uncle who has Christian albums out in England, and is now recording here in the U.S. I believe that my love of music comes from my family, of course, but I also believe that music is my gift; and mine alone.

I couldn’t imagine a world without music. Music tells me a story, whether it be folk music, rock music, or any other style of music that exists today. It tells me of struggles of people in different parts of the world. It tells me of happiness and hope. Music incorporates feelings for me, strong emotions that may make my heart beat faster or want to dance around the room, for the sheer joy of being alive and loving it. I think, for the most part, there are commonalities in most music that has been created. When I think of the foundation of music, I think of drums. I think of the deep throbbing sound that it makes. I can imagine the stamping of feet on bare, dusty earth. I can hear the low, guttural sounds and gentle wails of the tribe, as they dance, celebrating life or death. Those drums also communicate with other tribes, proclaiming news of birth, weddings, death, and even war, are symbols of a people, rich with heritage and meaning. Music is a storyteller. A solitary classical guitar player has such power over me, especially when he is playing Spanish music. Listening to the sweet strains of arpeggios, as his fingers lightly dance across the strings, makes me believe in reincarnation. I feel as if I am a Spanish senorita, dancing in the arms of my love; in the moonlight, feeling as though I could fly. A single violin, sweetly lamenting the sorrow of life at its worst, brings tears to my eyes; and the greatest hope for peace, for all mankind. Different chords of music bring a different set of emotions. When I listen to singers lifting their voices in sweet harmony, I feel as if I can’t catch my breath. Think of singing in a room, built only for music, and then, yell your name just one time. Stop, close your eyes, then listen to the sound, as it fills that room, your voice gently sweeping around you in waves, like the ebb and flow of the sea, when calm and peaceful, and you are floating in it. Music is emotion.

I believe that music can transcend language. There is a link between cultures that does not need to be spoken. That is music. Of course, there are many other links, such as a disaster of giant proportion, world hunger and suffering. But, these don’t bring a smile to one’s face. If every person in this world could just open their hearts and ears to the story of music, I believe that we could bridge many differences in our wonderfully varied cultures. There are real people behind each note that has been created and played or sung, since time has begun. There has been suffering, long before I was born. There has also been unity and peace for many that words just can’t quite achieve. I believe that I could learn from other cultures just by the music, to help me be a better human being, in a world full of chaos. Music is a storyteller, music is emotion; music is life.