Kathline - St. Charles, Illinois

Defining life is not hard but we forget what a gift it truely is. The universe continues on it’s path day in and day out no matter what. So what is life or death?

What does life mean to you? Going to work, and coming home, and dreading that decision of what to make for dinner, and dealing with the kids. Do you look around and envy others, wishing you had all that they have? Is it simply lonely and sad? We all have our own little worlds we live in. But in common we all in the game of life. Good days and bad days we are here.

What does death mean to you? Is it losing someone so dear that it feels you simply dry up like a leaf and blow away? Is it a time for sorrow or an ending to something that one never really values untill it is almost over. I am constantly surprised by the lack of answers to this question. If we simply do not think of it, will it not come. We should be talking about death to our families and friends and getting comfortable with the fact that someday it will visit you.

My view on life and death are simple really.

Can you remember your first family vacation where everyone loaded in the car what seemed everything they owned? Being awoken at 3 in the morning to get a headstart (why I will never know…guess what I have left at 10 am and still had a perfectly good time). Then you made the slow trip driving and driving and driving some more. Only to hear ok everyone we are stopping for gas everyone use the rest room. Or Ohhh look The Caves of this and that or see kids the historical marker said so and so faught here. Can you remember going into Stuckey’s and getting salt water taffy and feeling sick because you ate a whole bag of it.

Driving still you stop at a rest stop that seemed to have a million trucks and old guys eating hamburgers and being told to stay together. Staying in a hotel and still having to leave at 3 am to get to that vacation. Then hearing look kids a palm tree and seeing signs welcoming you to Florida and then seeing signs saying Disney in 300 miles.

Arriving at the hotel and jumping in a pool and feeling amazed that you made it. Seeing Mickey and the worlds that are at Disney? Feeling so excited you could just burst when you saw the Electric light parade and fireworks. Being the happiest kid in the world but still waiting in line. Seeing your parents acting goofy and just feeling so full of joy you could hardly breath.

Then it comes tomorrow we leave at 3am kids time to go home.

That is life to me. Plan the trip and make the journey and know when it is time to go home you will miss it all. Death is the end of the vacation that we are all on. Some are not going to Disney, some are simply going to work and coming home dreading what to make for dinner or worrying about making the next payment. But still Life is our vacation a gift really live it.