Harper - Mesa, Arizona
Themes: family, pleasure

I believe that pancakes are a necessity of life. Forget water. Who cares about staying hydrated? All I need to get by is a tall glass of ice cold milk and a stack of flapjacks.

Any size will do: thin ones, fat ones, half-dollars, or even plate-sized. Stack them high or leave just one. Cut them up into bite-sized morsels of goodness or leave them in their full round form, the way God intended. The only thing I ask is that you DON’T FORGET THE SYRUP. Pour as much hot, sticky goo as the plate will allow. And for goodness sake, make sure there’s butter- lots of butter. The Trans Fat may one day cause my heart to seize, but trust me, it’s worth it. Just spread a little between each cake and let it melt. Now find me the largest cup possible and pour a glass of milk. None of that wussy skim milk, it must be at least 2 percent. Then just let me eat.

I believe that a few pancakes a day can keep the doctor away, as long as mama makes ‘em. Mama brings the key ingredient, the most important part. You see, pancakes are love in solid form, and nobody can make them with more love than mama. I had my first pancake when I was just five years old, waiting for my Saturday breakfast. There was a fluffy, round, cake-like thing sitting on the plate in front of me. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. Mom proceeded to drench this thing in that lovely syrup stuff and cut it into smaller pieces. Each perfectly golden-brown square soaked up the syrup like a sponge. I believe that was the day I learned of true happiness as each warm bite melted on my tongue and the sweet, hot syrup coated my mouth. I licked my sticky fingers with a delightfully content feeling in my stomach.

To this day, no invention of mankind has surpassed that of the pancake. Although, I do believe that one institution, which proliferates and supports my fervent passion for flapjacks, does come close. It is known to many simply as I.H.O.P. That’s right; the International House of Pancakes, with its numerous choices of syrup flavors and its simple pancake style, is the best place, other than home, to find a pancake. It is the Mecca of pancake enthusiasts worldwide. If you lack the ability to make a pancake yourself or don’t have a mother to make one for you, then find your way to the nearest blue roof.

I believe that happy people eat pancakes and the sad people need them. Pancakes make a person full and content.

I believe that pancakes must be eaten in the morning because then your whole day will be better. But, if you find yourself still sad at the end of the day, then turn on the griddle and start mixing. I believe that pancakes are healthy; they are home, and they are love. Everyone could use a pancake.