Brendan - Davenport, Iowa

There are many beliefs which I hold dear, but the one that stands out as the most important is the belief that each and every human being has something to offer and is put on this earth for a purpose. I believe that despite what we may say or what we may do, we really do care about all people. I have come to accept that life is not easy. Every aspect of life is a challenge, and, sometimes in the midst of that challenge, we lose sight of what really matters. We often neglect and overlook the good in others. This is the daily struggle that each of us must face.

Sometimes, in our search for acceptance, we forget that others are just like us: burdened by their own flaws and weaknesses, desperate for affirmation, and constantly struggling with the problems facing them and the world. However, if each of us could learn to see life from others’ situations and points of view, the world would be a much better place. As the saying goes, ‘Love breeds understanding,’ but, in the same way, understanding breeds love.

In order to love, we must put ourselves in others’ shoes. Only when we can feel what others feel, hear what they hear, see what they see, and know what they know can we understand them. The toughest task facing us right now is not how to combat global warming or how to bring an end to all wars. It is not how to cure cancer or how to prevent the use and trafficking of drug. The toughest task facing the world today has to do with an individual attitude and commitment, but it would have wordly effects. The task- simple on paper, but incredibly difficult to act on- is this: are we willing to embrace others’ pain and suffering and make it our own?

I believe that it is through our willingness to embrace others’ burdens, that ours are lightened. By giving all we have, we will receive more than we ever believed possible. It is through our love for others that we find fullness, happiness, and purpose. This I know. This I believe.