Horatio - Pembroke, Massachusetts

I can clearly identify the various events in my life – a timeline – where sea change experiences have lead to a condition of critical mass in the evolution of who I am.

Each of these events required an answer to the question: why did this happen? I knew the answer to every other question, but not the answer to this particular question. Humans always need to blame someone. The question, at some point, when there is no one else to blame, resolves itself into “why did God let this happen?”

During this timeline, there came a day when Jesus just simply – metaphorically — walked into my life. At that moment, I completely understood that the inherent message of Jesus Christ is that “I am.”

This realization explained all of things that were conflicting between what was existential and religious upbringing. All comprehensions were complete, and lead to the reality that all religions are life’s scoundrel.

It all comes down to the concept of “I am.” I believe that “I Am,” but also that “You Are.” In view of the concept of “I Am” and “You Are,” we are collectively an omniscient, an omnipresent, and an omnipotent force. We can accomplish anything, one day we will even be able to “walk on water.” This is the intention of our very nature, our Geist, in the world and of the Cosmos, and the essence of our very being.

Therefore, the answer to the question “why?” is precisely that we through our ignorance allowed these things to happen; we erred. I believe that all mistakes (war and all violence, rape, murder, disease … all human inflictions) are the result of ignorance.

I believe in a philosophy that advocates human rather than religious values:

Therefore, I believe that religious, political, or social dogmas, ideologies and traditions, must be tested. We must seek solutions to human and ecological inflictions by employing critical reasoning, factual evidence, and scientific methods. We must have a concern with fulfillment for humankind, and there must be a constant search for the facts, with cognizance that experience and new knowledge alter our perception. We must be concerned for this life and commit to making it meaningful through a better understanding of our history, our intellectual and artistic achievements, and ourselves. We must learn to appreciate those who differ from us. We must search for viable individual, social, and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility. There must be a conviction that with reason, an open exchange of ideas, good will, and tolerance, progress will be made in building a better world for our children and ourselves.