Cindy - Mountain View, California

“Real Facts”

I read on a Snapple bottle cap the other day that we share our birthdays with nine million other people. In my case, the original “Ms. Too-Down-Home-Apple-Pie,” I can believe this “real fact” applies. However, in my grandmother’s case, this “real fact” cannot possibly be true. She was one in nine million.

Today is my grandmother’s birthday. She was a self-less woman who lived her life with grace, dignity and sincerity. Granny taught me so many life lessons, most of which were laced with her common-sense, Bible-based approach to life. One lesson I remember well is, “Do not let the sun go down on your anger.” This can apply to bitterness, resentment, jealousy or just plain, old hurt feelings.

The last couple of months have been very difficult for me. I think because I have let the betrayal of one person, whom I held so dear, color my view of the world. This demoralizing experience has shaken me in ways I thought were no longer possible. Even my faith in God’s infinite wisdom and timing, once so solid, now wavers. Instead of living as my grandmother taught me, I realize I have failed her miserably. I have let unkind and aggrieved thoughts misguide me. I am ashamed for allowing these thoughts to consume me, for allowing the actions of one person to churn out such faithless, worthless and hopeless feelings in myself. If my granny was still alive, she would paint my back porch red!

Today, in my grandmother’s spirit, I will pick myself up. I will look around me and be thankful for my loving husband, my children who have brought such joy to my life, and for my friends who have not forsaken me. My heart and soul may be bruised, but not broken. I do not want to live with hard feelings. When I feel I have been unjustly treated, I will seek the reasons why. I will do my part to make this corner of my world a better place. It’s time I weed my own back forty and quit worrying about everybody else’s.

I was raised with solid “Buckle” of the Bible Belt values. I haven’t forgotten where I came from. One last lesson my dear grandmother taught was that she always encouraged us kids to pray for our enemies, those who had done you wrong. They need our prayers more than anyone. Bitter hearts cultivate bitter deeds. I need to relearn these lessons and live them each day. In honor of one incredible woman, my grandmother, I will begin again today!

Cindy Lou Imboden

June 25, 2007