“Does everyone deserves an opinion”

Jonathan - San Antonio, Texas

I was thinking one day, “What if everyone shared there opinions, what the world be like?” I work in a type of job, where feelings are not given a second thought. The opinions and words o others come out like it is no big deal. Do we really want to know what everyone is thinking or do we just want to keep on living the way we do. I sometimes find myself wondering why I do what I do. Is it because I truly do want people to know the thoughts of mine or is it just an opinion and it is best just to be left as that, a thought.

I was at work the other day and it struck me, the society today is all about what is everyone doing or saying, who is dating who, or why do they act that way. Opinions are judgments that people think to justify there own beliefs. Why do we look down upon someone who is trying to be different? In there eyes maybe they are normal and the everyday is the weird one. Society seems to be ridiculing the different just to make themselves feel better about them. I sometimes find myself falling into the trap of stereotyping someone, just because they wish to dress or act differently. I don’t think it is just to gain attention; maybe they are just trying to express themselves in a creative manner.

I was looking the other day and ran into someone who was “Goth.” At first I was taken back and asked, “Why” why someone would want to dress this way and draw attention to them, especially since the attention always seems to be negative. I then asked him that very same question. To my surprise I thought I was going to get the typical answer, because I want to, but it turned out to be much more. This young man sated, I have always been told what to wear and how to wear it. This young man grew up in the old communist country of the U.S.S.R. He was very well spoken and I found out was very well educated. He said, I want to be able to express me. I grew up as a thing, not a person. I have individuality and I just want to be free.

Now I ask, what would he feel if everyone seemed to give there opinion without asking. Would he still feel that he was free? I was very intrigued that he was not trying to gain attention or even play the shocking factor, he just wanted to be able express himself the way he wanted and not have anybody tell him he couldn’t. I don’t thin society is ready for a world where opinion would be accepted, we often ask for opinion, but do we really want it. It seems like a good idea, but maybe opinions are bet kept to ourselves.