God Changed My Life

John - Linthicum, Maryland

I believe in God. I believe he is all wise, all knowing, and the creator of everything we know. I read the bible to try to take in its words of wisdom. I believe God has a plan. When I was a kid I remember hating going to church. I’m sure a lot of people can relate. I remember sitting there thinking what a waste of time. One hour felt like three but I was a good kid, I didn’t make a scene and beg my mom to leave. I know many people don’t believe in God. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, but I can’t help but to feel sorry for those who believe in nothing. I know some people may believe in God but are too busy in their lives to acknowledge that he is most important. I used to be the same way until I got into a serious car accident.

My friend and I were driving in the middle of the night after drinking a 1/5 of vodka. He hit the brakes going 130 miles per hour and we flew off the road, skidding on the roof of the car for 450 feet. I don’t remember anything except the first couple of seconds and thinking I was going to die. Amazingly, we both came out of the accident with just minor cuts. We didn’t even go to the hospital. A man that worked at the car impound commented to my friend, “It’s a good thing nobody was riding in the passenger’s seat because they would have been killed for sure.” I was the one sitting in the passenger’s seat. They actually put the car in front of some high school with a sign on it saying “This is what happens when you drink and drive.” The car was that demolished!

This is when God became so important in my life because I knew it was a miracle we were alright and I felt I was given a second chance. After this happened, I stopped doing the things I use to do and try to live a better life. I don’t drink and drive anymore and I sure don’t get in a car with someone under the influence. I go to church as much as I can. I try to help people less fortunate than me, for instance I donate money on a monthly basis to help a kid in Africa. I try and will continue to try to make a difference. I do believe in living for the moment and having as much fun as you can because we are here for a short amount of time. Regardless of whether you believe in God or not, I think you should ask yourself how you live your life. Is it worth it, because when the time comes, do you want to look back on your life and see that you were a caring person that helped people or you were greedy and just lived for yourself. This I believe.