I Believe in Rain

Keri - Rossville, Georgia

I believe in the importance of the rain. Summertime is my favorite time of the year. Everything is alive and beautiful. I can remember as a child, riding my bike and gardening with my grandfather. I always knew when summer was coming around because it would rain all the time. It used to bother me because it would sometimes ruin my plans. It would interfere with my ballgames, swimming with my friends, and other outdoor activities I enjoyed. It was not until recently; I realized how essential it is for it to rain. This summer has been very dry and everything has seemed dead, but last night it finally rained. I walked outside after it had ended and discovered the importance and splendor of the rain.

As I stood outside on my front porch, I witnessed first hand why it is so vital for it to rain. The trees seemed a little more alive and the grass a little greener. The birds were chirping, while calmness filled the air. I began to think of the memories I had playing outside after it had rained. I remembered my brother and me riding through mud puddles trying to see who could get whom the wettest. This memory put a smile on my face that soon ended. I began to think about the weather we have been having and if it did not rain as often as it used to how my children would suffer for it.

Water, when I was a child seems now to have been a luxury. I remember the hot summer days swimming in the pool, playing in the sprinkler, and sliding on the slip and slide until I was a prune. However, in recent summers there have been droughts. The county now regulates our water usage. They tell us the day and time we can turn on our water outside, and I fear my children will not know how enjoyable playing in the water can be.

In a time when rain has become sparse and restricted, it has made me realize how important it is for it to rain. Without the rain, nature does not flourish and thrive, and our children do not get to enjoy the pleasures of water. Our children may never know what it is like to play outside in the water all day. They will only know about the regulations and times they can use it. That is why, I believe, the rain is so important and crucial to future generations and us.