Amy - Adairsville, Georgia

I believe in being true to yourself. Being true to yourself is the bases of everything else in your life. It influences your family. It influences your job. If you can’t be true to yourself – then you possible can’t be true to anyone else that crosses your path along life’s way.

Being true to yourself affects your family. If you can’t respect yourself and do the things that you feel are right, how do you expect your family to. Being true to yourself, in my opinion, goes hand in hand with values. You want to be an example for your children. You want to pass down the values that your parents taught you – be a good person, respect others, do the right thing, and always be able to have the feeling that you have done the right thing. I believe it is extremely important to be an example everyday in front of your children. You have to be a bigger influence over them than their friends at school. I know when I was a teenager it is hard to think that I would ever agree with my parents, but the day came when I did. I am thankful that I have parents that set a good example for me. My goal is to do the exact same thing for my children.

Being true to yourself not only influences your family, but can also influence your work situation. Working hard to me goes along with being true to yourself. Do the job that you are getting paid to do, and do it to the best of your ability. You see people in the workplace that sit around goofing off all day. To me that is not only being unfair to the company and your co-workers, but also to yourself. I was recently in the situation of watching a co-worker come in an hour late everyday, take two hour lunches everyday, and the time she was actually sitting at her desk was not spent working, but talking on her cell phone and surfing the web. It was very frustrating to watch week after week, especially when others had to cover her job because she wasn’t putting forth an effort. I went from being furious with the situation to trying to ignore it the best I could when I realized how it was affecting me. There is no way I could act that way towards my employer or co-workers. But most importantly, I would not feel right doing it.

I believe you should always be true to yourself and your opinions. Your actions are influencing others on a daily basis, and you need to make sure it is in a positive way.