Mahsa - Santa Monica, California

I believe in simplicity. I learned this after leading a far from simple life.

Only recently did I discover that life is meant to be simple and only the decisions and outlooks one makes and has towards life, determine whether his life will be simple or complicated. In every aspect of life, from school to relationships, I, along with most others I know, have always managed to complicate even the most simple of situations.

Entering high school, I thought I had everything planned out and set. But as time went on, some of my ideas and views about college and my future began to change. For instant I used to think that going to university right after high school meant everything; you couldn’t even talk to me about going to a community college and then transferring- it was out of the question. So what happened? I started to stress out and always worry of course; eventually things got so bad that I developed anxiety. And what for? For nothing. Well, actually, for making myself think that I always had to do well. The irony of the situation was that I would always preach to others to not stress about things that were so simple; to just have fun and enjoy life while it lasted. And as cliché as it may be, it’s true.

Then, one night, as I was about to start drilling into my head all the hormones and glands that run our bodies, I realized how impractical I was being… why don’t I take some of my own advice? Why don’t I take things easy and simplify things? I mean it’s not the end of the world if I don’t get into a university straight from high school. Leading a simple life, is coincidentally, just as simple as it sounds (no pun intended). All we have to do is be optimistic and learn to live in the present, rather than the past or the future. Because honestly, when you think about it, life isn’t all that complicated. The problem is that for some reason, we have a strange tendency to make life a lot harder than it actually is.

In the end, it’s not worth finding yourself caught in a web of “What if?s” I have learned and now firmly believe, that when life is simple, everything else will fall into place.