Take a Break for Once

JC - Santa Monica, California
Themes: family, pleasure

I believe that everyone in this world is too stressed and we all just need to take a break every now and then. Not just a break from work or something like that, but a break for yourself. To have time with yourself and just think, because that’s what everyone needs once in a while.

When I was a little kid, my parents would always work the longest weeks possible known to man so they could sustain the family. Even though my parents worked very sustaining jobs, they had to continually work so they could be satisfied that they were supporting the rest of our family along with my sister and me. My parents were rarely at home with me as a developing child. My parents were too stressed out all the time. My dad told me that he worked so much because he liked doing so, even though the onslaught of weekly thirteen to fifteen hour days resulted in his early retirement from his “enjoyable occupation”.

The way that my dad would relive his stress was to take me to the golf course and go golfing. For him, my father just didn’t care about work anymore once he got on the course. His time had officially become his own time. Not time to be spent working constantly even when he got home, but time to think about how to hit his next shot. Should he hit his natural fade shot or maybe a draw because the wind was coming from the right and would further his distance to be closer to the hole. It didn’t really matter to me about what kind of shot to hit, but it made him happier, even if he didn’t really have a good day on the course. I asked my dad why he plays golf so much and he said, “golf lets me just be myself and I can just enjoy the scenery around me, plus it really hard.”

Although I don’t use golf as my medium of stress relief, I do apply what my dad did say to me. The way I get to release the pressures from life (mainly school…) is to just sit down, enjoy, and endlessly play some video games.

Despite the combination of video games and television in one sitting may be the supposed one-step to rotting my brain, video games allow me to feel something that I can’t experience in another action. I get to be in control of someone else’s life, not just my own. Even though it’s just a fictional character that’s made out of pixels, the character seems real enough to me and I get to control that character’s outcome in it’s fictional life. Because in the grander scale of things, maybe some punk teenager is controlling me in a video game that he thinks is a fictional world.

Even if we all have different ways of dealing with the stresses of the world today, one fact is universal. We all need time to ourselves so we can be just that, ourselves. People get so worked up doing their jobs or just completing school, but nevertheless, we’re still us. We need to focus on us every now and then. We can’t let everyone else have all the attention now can we. That’d be pretty selfish of them to do that.