Everything they don’t teach you in college

Kelsey - Norfolk, Virginia

Not many people can say they know how to cook Ramen Noodles in a coffee pot, or make $35 cash stretch over two weeks. I’ve lived with a total of 5 strangers, did my laundry with over 100 strangers, and ate every meal with even MORE strangers. And my parents are paying close to $100,000 for all of this. But aside from the hours in class, and overpriced text books, I believe everything I’ve learned in college, I’ve learned outside of the classroom.

Born to a stable family, I’ve always had my own room, no hand me downs, and even during the hardest times, I always had what I not only needed, but wanted too. Moving to college, sharing a room for the first time, with a small bathroom between four girls, was one of the hardest lessons I’ve ever learned; not to mention how to share a closet, one sink, a TV, and a very small dorm room with someone who I’m not quite sure even knows my last name.

I learned I do in fact have commitments to my classes, especially my parents who are so graciously paying for my education. I also learned that it’s more important to take care of those around me. This means waking up at 3am after 5 hours of studying to go help a friend who just fought with her boyfriend. These relationships I’ve built are more important than any ‘A’ I’ll ever get.

I also learned I’m not as confident as I seem at times. Sometimes I don’t want to talk about what’s bothering me, sometimes I just want to be mad. I learned I wear my heart on my sleeve, I’ve gotten my heart broken, but I’ve learned to put the pieces back together, and move on. I’m grateful for everyone who’s ever cared about me, and I’m glad I knew them.

I learned I don’t like to be told things just to be protected. I want the truth, always. I do overreact sometimes. I argue, and I’m stubborn, but this is me, this is who I am, and who is loved by my many friends and family.

I learned God is number one in my life. I might not show that all the time, and that hurts me, but I trust in him completely and am forever grateful for all the blessings he’s given me. I believe in him because I know even if I break his heart a million times, he’ll still love me.

I learned that everything happens for a reason, and for that I’m confident that I’m where I’m supposed to be. I learned I don’t like to go to bed mad, I will stay up and fight and work everything out. Sadly, I learned tomorrow is never promised, and never hang up without saying I love you. So thank you Old Dominion, but thank you because I believe everything I learned in college, I learned outside the classroom.