Lisa - Santa Monica, California

I believe in Best Friends.

That one person you can always count on. The one to help you with your problems or your homework, and they don’t make a complaint about it. The one that tells you the truth about your haircut and says you look better with long hair.

My best friend is that one. She is the one I can’t wait to tell something too. But recently we have been forced to not speak to each other. This was an incident that happened in over the summer. It involved people exchanging words at each other. I wasn’t even there but I have to deal with this. How can you keep me from my best friend. That is impossible; it’s like trying to break a hydrogen bond, which you cannot do. You can freeze us, melt us, or turn us into gas, but we will still be together.

It seems like we have changed in the past few months and I don’t know why. I don’t know if she notices, or if it’s me, but we don’t seem that close anymore. But I know that no matter what, we will still be friends. I know if we just talk, which is never possible, except in English class, we will push aside things. I once read a quote from the book, The Chosen. It was around page seventy and it went something like, “best friends are two people who share the same mind.” Or it might have been soul. Well I always wanted to show her it, but never got to and then someone borrowed the book. So now she can see it in this paper.

I believe in Best Friends.