Riley - Washington, District of Columbia

I believe in weddings. Why? Well, with my own wedding 15 days away and counting if I didn’t believe in them, I’d be in a whole lot of trouble now wouldn’t I?

But I really believe in wedding planning. A wedding is the single greatest party most people ever throw and necessity dictates that you plan the entire thing with the person you live with. My fiancée is Romanian and I’ve long since learned, “Da draga. Bine draga. Cum vrei tu draga.” Yes dear. Okay dear. However you like dear. But I’ve been shocked by my own not-so-latent desires. I want the groom’s ties to match the bridesmaid’s dresses. I want chocolate cake. I want green ribbon. I want her to walk down the aisle. I want cake to be served before 3 a.m. And I want it not to rain. Wedding planning is the managing of two powerful desires and dreams that have been gestating for twenty-five years. Dale Carnegie was surely thinking of weddings when conjuring up his all-important principles.

If only everything were done with the zeal of wedding planning. If only the care I take in discussing my wedding were reflected in my discussions with co-workers. If only the passion I bring to cake tasting were applied to the website I edit. If only my attentiveness in editing the programs were turned on the audio stories I edit every day. When confronted with a difficult decision at work, the real question we should ask ourselves is, what would a wedding planner do? If this were a singular important event, would I react differently?

But most workplace tasks are not once-in-a-lifetime event as weddings are. And your co-workers are usually not also your future spouse. What then? I believe that wedding planning teaches us. After thirteen months of wedding planning, I’ve learned to compromise; to dig deep even at the end of a long day; that ivory and champagne are not the same color; to balance the strongest of desires even when they are in direct conflict; that fulfilling someone else’s wants sometimes leads to your own fulfillment; and to know when to let go. Because there’s always the workplace version of, “Da draga. Bine draga. Cum vrei tu draga.” Uh-huh. Okay. Sounds good!