I Believe in Miracles

Claira - Ashburn, Virginia

Some people believe in fate. Some people believe in God. Some people believe in heaven and hell. Strong beliefs help everyone in hardship or when times are unbearable. It helps us get through a little thing called life. Like everyone else, I also have a belief, I believe in miracles. Miracles don’t just happen on 34th street in a Christmas story. Miracles are heaven’s gifts sent to us by God – – supernatural intervention from helping hands we can’t see.

I remember like it was yesterday. When I was about four years old, my little sister was rushed to the hospital at only two years old. She stopped breathing and her entire face turned into a bluish/purple color. I had no idea what was going to happen, I was scared to death. And then I expected the worst- what if my little sister died? Thankfully, the ambulance came in about two minutes and she was off to the hospital. When she arrived, the doctor slowly shook his head and could not even look my mother in the eye. He told her that my sister had about a ten percent chance of living. She had a heart murmur, and they did not know if they could save her. And then something wonderful happened. As the doctors continued to work, her heartbeat became stronger and stronger. Finally, after about three days in the hospital, my sister was able to come home and be with us. It was a miracle. I believe that it was not her time to go yet. Saving my sister’s life was God’s gift to my family.

My parents told me of another special gift heaven sent them. It was 1986, and my mother was pregnant with me. My mother, father, uncle, and aunt were all squeezing together in my father’s 1970 something Dodge Colt. There was a slight drizzle outside, my family was going to my grandmother’s house in Westminster, Maryland. They were all stopped at a traffic light. It was dinner time, so there were a few cars on the road. When the light turned green, they started to drive, and then out of nowhere, a car on their left started coming towards them at full speed. My mother said she closed her eyes and hoped for a miracle. My father’s car was sideswiped and pretty banged up. It did a 180-degree turn before finally coming to a complete stop. No one was harmed in anyway. My mother believes there were angels with her that day holding the car down, preventing it from flipping over. I do not know if there were angels there or if it was God, but it was definitely a miracle.

I believe that miracles happen each and everyday. We just don’t realize it because most of the time, we are not involved or they are not happening to us. However, when they do happen to us, they impact our lives greatly. Today, my sister and I are alive because of miracles.