Brady - Santa Monica, California
Themes: hope

Remember, Red. Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies.”

– Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption (1994)

I believe in hope, hope that a better day will come, hope that god will provide.

Growing up as an Asian-American, I’ve been immersed in a reality of pessimism; every academic flaw of mine is ardently pointed out by my parents on a daily basis, every character flaw is scrutinized, whether it be that I barely shaved by with an A- for the semester or that I had one poor quiz grade. It is often difficult to find reason to continue in a world which appears so bleak and austere, but for all the flaws I do have, I must move on and attempt to utilize the talents I do possess in order to develop my mental and physical abilities.

I recall times in which frustration would overcome my will, and I would run out around my neighborhood in the middle of the night, hoping god would bestow a miracle upon my life, contemplating whether I had reached life’s end or not. This occupied a good period of my life, with no answer, no miracle, and no epiphany, just a lot of crying, walking, and thinking around my serene, early morning Santa Monica neighborhood, with God at my side.

But then, finally, a day came, when everything in my mind clicked together. Life offers many divergent paths, making it a complicated process of choices. Often, I am unsure of which path to walk, for there are too many forks in one day to contemplate, from whom to associate with to how to manage my daily workload. But I do know of this for sure: I cannot go back and fix my flaws, I cannot dwell on the past and regret my disappointments, I cannot remain nostalgic for the days of my carefree childhood, but rather, I must look for a better tomorrow.

It is with this reasoning that I have concluded that hope is of the essence. Hope gives me a reason to live another day, to look for a better tomorrow, to work for a bigger future. It is with hope—and a little faith in myself—that I am able to charge forth into the depths of society. Whether I succeed or fail, it is within hope which lays my reason to continue.

The ability and characteristic of hope should not be confused or likened with success, for hope cannot guarantee success, but rather, only an opportunity of success. It is with hope that I am able to broaden a barren land of cynicism into a vast garden of opportune fruit.

With this, I’d like to conclude that hope is best of all things. I do not need luck or fortune to ensure a fulfilling life, for whether tomorrow is a good day or bad day, I believe in hope.