Casey - Los Angeles, California
Themes: pleasure

Soapy Serenity

I believe in taking an hour-long shower. I believe in scalding water that turns your skin pink, and scented soaps that turn you into a walking flower. Some people believe in 5-minute showers; however, I believe in marathon bathing.

In my family I am considered to be the slow one of the bunch. My twin sister and I turned out to be opposites in that way–if she isn’t early for everything she’ll combust. Whenever my family plans to go out my parents always joke that they plan an extra hour ahead, so that I will have enough time to shower. In my family I am dubbed “The Shower Queen” because of my notoriously long showers. My mom always says to me, “ I can shower in five minutes, why is it you need five hours?”

I understand that taking a long shower may not be the most efficient or pragmatic, but despite its impracticality, it is fundamental. Why should something as soothing as bathing be rushed? I’m sixteen years old. I’m a junior in high school; ergo my stress levels are at their peak (thus far). Taking a shower helps me reflect on the day, consolidate my thoughts. It’s something that can be done without routine or concentration–it can’t be done right or wrong–I don’t have to use my lavender body wash before my Pantene shampoo. I fail to see how the one thing that helps me unwind and decompress should be hasty.

I know that from here on out things are only going to get harder. State testing, AP tests, SATs, ACTs, college applications-this is only the beginning. All the more reason I find it important to savor the small moments of the day–for me that’s to take a shower. When we don’t take any time for ourselves, even just the little moments, we turn into tense, “Type A” machines who only know how to designate every millisecond of the day towards work or study. Nobody can schedule happiness.

It’s better to be relaxed, content, and late, than stressed, burned-out, and punctual. I, unlike my sister, don’t mind being late if it means I get five more minutes in the shower. Because to me, that small moment of the day is worth it.