Jim - Alexandria, Kentucky

Please consider running this on “This I Believe”. My father and grandfather died from diabetes. Our 25 year old daughter has suffered with diabetes since she was 9 years old.

Thanks for your consideration,

I believe that President Bush truly believes that

he is making what he truly believes to be the correct “moral” decision when he vetoes bills that would expand federal funding of embryonic stem cell research. How unfortunate that we have a president who on this issue is unable to clearly consider the other viewpoint. He is also going against the wishes of 70% of Americans who support federal funding for embryonic stem cell research. Millions of Americans are living with diseases whose lives could improve dramatically from advances made through increased funding of embryonic stem cell research. Millions more are handicapped whose lives could also dramatically improve from these advances. From President Bush’s viewpoint, it’s not justifiable to use these cells for research, yet it’s perfectly justifiable to toss these embryonic stem cells in the dumpster. President Bush claims he vetoes these bill because they cross a “moral line”. I wonder if throwing these perfect embryonic stem cells in the dumpster, rather than using them to save and improve lives would be considered crossing a “moral line”? Just recently the current director of the National Institutes of Health, Dr Elias Zerhouni, whom George Bush appointed, has come to endorse expanded federal funding for embryonic stem cell research. Clearly, the majority of Americans, the majority of the House and Senate, the majority of the medical community and now the director of the National Institutes of Health (whom George Bush himself appointed) are all in favor of increasing federal funding for stem cell research! Senator Orrin Hatch ( A well respected, conservative, pro-life Republican Senator from Utah) says he thinks President Bush is misguided! What decision do you think President Bush would make on funding for stem cell research if, God forbid (No one would wish this on any family), Laura was home in an advanced stage of Alzheimers, drooling, not able to carry on any type of normal conversation and not able to recognize anyone, even George. What if while Laura was in that condition, his daughter Barbara was in a wheel chair, suffering from advanced MS and their other daughter, Jenna, was paralyzed from a spinal cord injury that occurred from a freak accident. Needless to say, at that point, President Bush would clearly see the other viewpoint. I believe President Bush would then make the correct “moral” decision.

You have my written permission to use this essay, or any part of it, on “This I Believe”.