Ashley - Virgnia Beach, Virginia
Themes: family, pleasure

Fire Up The Grill

I believe the best ingredient to a happy family is a barbecue. There’s nothing better after a long day at the pool or beach than to come home and smell the tasty flavors of assorted meats cooking on the grill. Dad’s normally in the backyard flipping the burgers and trying not to burn the chicken, and mom, my two sisters, and I are all cramped up in the kitchen trying to maneuver around each other. We make sure that the pasta salad and baked beans are cooking, and we cut all the toppings that everyone likes on their burgers. The radio is turned up loud on an oldies station and everyone is singing to their own beat.

I come from a family of five very loud people, so when all of us get together for a barbecue it’s a little chaotic. Even when we try to assign everyone a specific task it still ends up being a huge process. My assigned job normally is to go around and find out how many people want hotdogs, hamburgers, chicken, and sausage. I almost can predict what everyone wants, because these barbecues have become a tradition. While everyone is shouting out their orders I try to jot them down as fast as I can. I normally miscount so we end up with lots of leftovers.

My parents love when all of their three girls agree to come to a barbecue, because that normally means we are together all day. We start out at the clubhouse pool and end up in their backyard at the end of the night. Both of my sisters live on their own, and my oldest sister has her own family to juggle during the week, so when they come over its an extra treat.

Family barbecues normally take place outside on the deck. We set the table with all paper goods so no one has to worry about dishes, plus it gives us more time to spend together. Setting the table reminds me of an assembly line. Mom normally is stationed at the fridge and she passes the condiments and other foods to my sister, who then passes them onto me and I place them on the table. We all gather around the table waiting for the food on the grill to be done. My sister’s start rambling about what’s been going on in their lives. All of their hilarious stories distract us from hearing our stomachs growl.

The best part of our barbecues is not necessarily the food or the stories, it’s spending quality time with the family. A barbecue in the summer is a guarantee that all of us will spend time together. We will enjoy each others company and make each moment last forever. Barbecues are generally the best way to get my family together, just say when and where and we’ll be there. I believe the only ingredient a happy family needs is a barbecue.