Irma - Los Angeles, California
Themes: work

I believe working hard brings rewards sooner or later in life. I realized this when I entered my junior year in high school. I received my schedule and noticed that there were classes I had already taken, meaning that I had the opportunity to choose two other classes.

I had worked hard taking classes in a course of six weeks during the summer and I have also gone to sleep and woke up doing my homework because I want to succeed. During the past summer, I took Chemistry and passed the class allowing a free space in my schedule. The classes that I decided to take were art and tutoring. I am proud that I have worked hard because I now have time to work with younger students and be a helping hand to the teachers.

Working hard to pass all my classes and never receiving a fail makes me feel proud. I have received help with Los Angeles City College Upward Bound, taking college level classes has helped me receive the both extra high school and college credits that I have today. I am considered Class of 2007 instead of the real class that I am in, Class of 2008. As a student knowing that I am ahead of the race towards graduation makes me want to try more and not give up. I do not want to give up because I want to make my parents proud of their daughter. I do not want them to assume I will become pregnant during high school, but succeed by graduating high school and moving on to college without getting pregnant.

Currently, in the second semester of my junior year, I am taking AP English Language and Composition. As I began taking this course my second semester, it was hard for me to understand exactly what the rest of the class was doing, but since I like facing challenges and working hard, I was optimistic that I would be able to pass the class. I always like to be optimistic, setting my mind to work harder. I know that hard work is going to take me to my future dream, which is college.

College is a dream I am going to accomplish after I graduate from high school. I am already working hard to get there by being aware of the classes that I must take to complete the A-G requirements. I know that it is not all about grades; it is also about tests and extra-curriculum activities and I am also working hard to accomplish these goals as well. I just joined cross-country, and that first run was really hard for me, but I know that I can make it by not giving up.

I believe that working hard brings rewards and is going to get me where I want to go. I know that it will take a lot of hard work to get where I want, but it is going to be worth after I receive the Business Administration degree that I desire.