maria - los angeles, California

In life we all have ups and downs, failures and success; I believe that with hope and strength one can overcome anything.

Since I can remember, all my life I have been under the poverty level, in other words, poor. In my whole life time since my parents separated I have moved more than 15 times, for reasons like, my mom couldn’t pay the rent, or we got evicted. When I was a child I didn’t see the importance of moving, I thought it was just like an adventure moving from one place to another, I also never realized how poor we were.

Once I got older I got pregnant and it was really hard for me to be a single parent but to me it was okay because I never had a father figure in my life. So if my mom could be a single parent so could I. Bringing another life into my family meant another mouth to feed, another body to dress and another child to rise. I have always been the type of person that I don’t show my feelings, in school I might look like the happiness, joyful person like if nothing bad is happening in my life but deep down I have like thousand of issues and problems, I might be dying from the inside but I never show it. All the problems that my family has had always revolve around money, they had made my mom fall into depression, until the point that she felt like giving up and not fighting for the family to stay together. My sister fell into depression that she didn’t have the strength to finish high school so she dropped out to go to work. My sister and my mother tell me that they admire me because even though we face so many problems each day, I get up in the morning and go to school, get good grades and never give up on myself and not fall into depression.

Only in this year my Jr. year I have moved 6 times up and down with my daughter, from corner to the other corner of the city. I wake up at 5am every morning, go drop off my baby to the babysitter, go to school and work hard, go back and pick up my baby, go home, do my homework, play a little while with my baby, then go to sleep and do the same routine all over again. Once I had my daughter people told me that I wasn’t ever going to graduate high school and go to college for the simple fact that I was teen mom. There are times when I don’t even have money to buy my baby food or clothes, people may wonder why I don’t have money to buy my baby those items if I get welfare, but the truth is that I don’t get welfare, the day of tomorrow once I apply for financial aid I’m afraid that I might be rejected of financial aid because I got welfare once, so that’s why I prefer not to get it. The only source of money I have is my mother, she has been there for me in thick and thin, carrying me around everywhere with my daughter.

No one knows this about me, none of my close friends know this, people have their own problems and I don’t want to throw mine on top of them. All this problems have made me stronger and try harder to succeed in life for my daughter, my mother and I.

I believe that one can overcome anything just if they believe in themselves, have hope, strength to endure the failures of life and look up never down.