OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL

Ariana - Los Angeles, California

I believe in hard work and opportunity for everyone, because I know that everyone deserves the right to enjoy their hard earned rewards, and have the same opportunities as others. I believe that if I have the courage to put myself out in the world, I could become whatever I want.

I know many people don’t believe in having the same opportunities or that hard work would bring good rewards to achieve our dreams, because I have heard some of my classmates talk about our differences for being Latinos. For example, one day, I was talking to my friends about college during lunch time and I mentioned that I wanted to go to a private university and become a doctor. One of my friends started laughing and said, “Don’t even think about it; only white people get to be doctors and go to private schools. You would never afford to pay for that type of college”. I was really disappointed to hear this, not only because it hurt me, but also because one of my friends had such an attitude towards life. I couldn’t sustain my anger and I replied “You will see me next year when I get accepted to a private school. You will see me as doctor and I will have a nice car and a big house like I always dreamed of.” We continued to argue and I tried to convince him that just because we are not white or rich doesn’t mean that we can’t achieve our dreams; if we work hard enough, we can be whatever we put our minds into. I told him “I would never give up and he shouldn’t either.” That day, my self esteem decreased; I couldn’t forget his face and his exact words kept spinning on my mind. I was mad, disappointed, and sad I felt many feelings at the same time wondering around in side me.

Later on, I research how many Latinos were in the private school, I want to attend. We were the minority, 50% of the school was white people and measly 13% was Latino. Even though the statistics were overwhelming, it didn’t put me down; instead it motivates me to work harder to achieve my goals because I know this hard work will pay off sooner or later.

I believe in myself, I know I will become a great doctor. I believe in opportunities for everyone regardless the race or color of their skin and I also believe in hard work that would later be paid off with a great reward.