Michelle - Chesapeake, Virginia

Today, some of my greatest joys come from doing mundane household tasks. Folding laundry, doing dishes, and scrubbing floors are not glamorous, but they are an essential part of my daily life, and I am not ashamed to admit I enjoy these tasks. I believe that in today’s society, it is still acceptable for a woman to take pride in, and enjoy a traditional role of womanhood.

When I worked at a preschool, I remember seeing the little girls spending hours wrapping and unwrapping their baby dolls. I used to be one of those girls. Why is it then, that now I have my own real house suddenly I have no time to take care of it the same way I used to spend hours taking care of my Fisher – Price plastic kitchen?

Now that I’m all grown up, society tells me it’s no longer my job to take care of my home and family. Women today can be doctors, lawyers, and scientists. So why can’t I simply be a housewife? Many women tell me that today, in the age of progressivism; mundane household tasks are no longer my responsibility. But who will pick up my slack? My husband is a great provider, and works more than 60 hours a week, and I don’t expect him to mop the floors in his limited time home at night.

I still enjoy watching those little girls get so excited about putting away their dishes and keeping their little kitchen sets spotless. These little girls are untouched by the way society believes today’s woman should behave, and as children they enjoy caring for their pretend homes.

As the homemaker I am also the nurturer in the family. After I have children, I feel no need to leave the home for financial compensation, because I believe my most important job is with my children. With the recent influx of mothers going back into the workforce, there is so much pressure from my friends and acquaintances to pursue work outside my home. As a woman, I feel that it is my responsibility to take care of my husband and my children. Not all women feel this calling, but as for me, I believe I should not be ashamed to enjoy the role of being a homemaker.

I believe that my jobs as a homemaker and mother are something I should seek happiness from. There is nothing to be ashamed of in wanting to take charge in these roles while my husband works hard to provide for his family.