I Believe in Manga

Andrea - Santa Monica, California

What can I say, except that I believe in manga.

It all began during my middle days of middle school, when I noticed my sister’s after school routine has suddenly changed. She went from throwing her backpack on the floor to the side of her bed and turning on the television with her eyes glued to the screen, to throwing her backpack toward the side of her bed and reading a book.

I thought, “My sister is reading for fun?” “How could this be?” What is so special about this colorful miniature book with an unusual title, Inu Yasha. Inu Yasha? What language did that word come from? What does it mean?

As days passed by my curiosity greatly increased. My sister noticed the expression on my face and suggested that I read one. Obviously I accepted her invitation, once she gradually passed me the book, I glanced through it. There were more pictures than words. I decided to give it a shot-like the old saying goes; “You can’t judge a book by its cover.”

Manga are basically Japanese comic books, but are translated into English. Around 10 inches long, pages are usually in black and white, some manga requires the reader to read the manga from right to left than vice versa.

After reading it, this hobby became an addiction. Sure it’s an easy read, but parents must agree it’s better than seeing their children watching television. I began to go to bookstores and continuously bought and read manga.

Then I expanded my reading to different mangas besides Inu Yasha, like Ceres, Mars, Fushigi Yuugi, Kare Kano, Vampire Game, etc. I also found a way to connect with my sister, because we rarely have anything in common.

Throughout manga one will be more involved in books, have a sense of the Japanese culture, have imaginations and so forth. I believe if you don’t like manga, not even a little bit, then you have to be crazy. I haven’t heard one single person who has ever read manga, say they dislike it.

I believe that manga is a sort of worthy entertainment that everyone should be informed about. It has personally brought a connection between my sister and I believe that manga ignites one’s interest in reading.

I believe in manga!!