Kristen - Santa Monica, California

I believe in imagination. Not just the imagination we hold in our minds, but the imagination we hold in our hearts and in the world. Imagination does not merely exist, but thrives. It is what creates the hopes for the future. It is what creates the dreams we imagine at night or the dreams we hold in our hearts. It even is what creates the shows we watch on TV. Imagination is what brightens up faces, even on the darkest of days.

My imagination affects me in many aspects, whether it was my imaginary friend, Nu-nu, or the personalities of my stuffed animals. While those childhood dreams faded out, there was one spark of imagination that always stuck with me.

At about six years old I wrote my first short story. The story was about a cat named Tommy who loved to eat. He ate so much that he wouldn’t stop growing- even though he was the runt. My wild imagination ended this story with that Tommy going on a diet and he shrinking down to his original size. Since I was so new at writing I had my Dad write most of the story because my miniature hands couldn’t handle it. Even though the story was only a page long, the imagination it contained could fill pages.

That simple story gave me a passion like no other and that passion stuck by my side like no friend ever could. That simple story is what changed and inspired my past, present and future self.

Creative writing has stuck with me my whole life. It has been there through the good, like having one of my poems published in a book. It has also been there through the bad, like when my parents got divorced in 2003. It made it possible to live and create other worlds if I didn’t want to live in my current one. I lived in Middle-of-Nowhere, MD, a.k.a. Mt. Airy, where I disliked most fellow students and I hated being stuck in my house. Writing helped me escape reality and explore other realms filled with vampires who defied their nature, love that brought two worlds together and close friends who stuck by each other.

Imagination strikes us in all shapes and sizes, whether it is singing, dancing, wishing or writing. We see it everyday. Even in simple things, like the blueprints of the house or the next episode of Lost. The world is made of imagination. The world thrives on imagination. In each and every single one of us there is a Tommy the cat. Even if it’s not the Tommy that we write in books, it is the Tommy we hold in hold in our hearts or hold in our dreams. I believe we use imagination everyday. I believe we cannot get rid of imagination. I believe we cannot live without imagination.