Sara - Williamsburg, Virginia

Laugh it Off

As usual I am running late for work. At Mach 3 I run down my hardwood stairs with stocking covered feet. In slow motion my feet fly out from underneath me and I ride down the last three stairs on my bum. With nothing hurt besides my pride I bust out into hysterical laughter. The kind of laughter that makes me feel like I have done a thousand sit ups and gives me a cramp in one side. I believe in this power of laughter. I believe in being able to laugh at yourself and that laughing can cure anything.

I am clumsy. On a daily basis I either fall, trip, or drop something. It seems that my favorite thing to do is trip over air. On any random day I can be seen strutting along when suddenly air reaches up and grabs hold of my ankle causing me to lunge forward. Or maybe I am in the glass store checking out an expensive vase when suddenly my hand just lets go. These occasions occur so often that in order for me to make it through a day sane, I must laugh. My strong deep laugh can be heard miles around, telling the world that I accept my clumsiness and it’s okay to laugh too.

I believe that laughing can cure almost anything. I am out on a first date. My best friend thought that I and the crew cut man would make a great match. She shouldn’t quit her day job. We glance at each other briefly while the awkward silence hangs in the air like the smell from a skunk’s tail. I lean towards him and ask him, “How do you make a tissue dance?” He grins and says “How?” I reply “Put a little boogey into it!” We both crack up not so much because of the quality of the joke but of how corny it is. We exchange a few more jokes and share a few more laughs. We break the ice. Laughter can change this really dull awkward situation into an enjoyable time. At least until he pays for dinner anyway.

Laughter can always turn mountains into mole hills. My eight –year- old son is throwing a fit. One hot summer’s day we are lounging by the pool being burned into crisps and I have decided I have had enough of the great outdoors but he strongly and loudly disagrees. While we pack up the pool toys, he’s gives me the look where he pokes out his lips and glares. I return the look but with my tongue hanging out and tell him I’ll beat him to the car. Of course “I let” the little athlete win and we bust out laughing. Laughter turns pouty faces into smiles in mere seconds and makes the ride home enjoyable.

I believe in the power of laughter. I believe that laughing at myself keeps me sane as I break and buy that vase I could barely afford. Laughing can change the atmosphere in the room from suffocating to refreshing. It can change a mood from dark to bright. I believe in one of life’s simplest gifts, laughing.