Cynthia - Los Angeles, California

I believe that for every obstacle we face in life there is always someone with a helping hand. I am graduating from high school in one year. I guess the hard work I’ve put in along this path has paid off, at least to this point. Not everything was as good as it is today. Back in fifth grade, I was constantly bullied by others and I was not very good student. I used to hate school; it was a place that I did not fit in at all. I did not a have any friends, and was constantly made fun of because of my culture and appearance. I didn’t know anything about the English language. I couldn’t even understand what my teacher talked about in class. I was known to the school as a “newcomer”.

From all of these bad moments, I took all of the anger I felt and did triple the work than that of my classmates. I looked at learning the English language as a challenge that I needed to face with all my will. I wanted to make my family proud of me and believe that if I set a goal for myself I could achieve it. It took me a while to learn English, but I also learned that I can do anything if I set my mind to it.

I did not hold grudges against the classmates who made my life miserable. I learned from my country that love and respect is better, that life goes on and that I must continue my learning in this country. My loved ones were my support; they were always there for me with arms wide open, without them I wouldn’t have make it through.

Now that I’m in high school, I’ve learned that the world not only holds the love of my family, but also the love of my best friends. My best friends accept every quality I possess, even those that my fifth grade peers had once rejected. The love and support of family and friends makes life beautiful and worthwhile. Family and friends are the ones who hold a special place in my heart. They will always be there for me: when I a laugh, when I cry, when I am having problems and when I graduate next year from high school. They are the light of my path. They are number one in my heart. I believe that even though we may encounter unbearable obstacles in life, there will always be people who will offer a helping hand whenever we need it.