Joshua - Santa Monica, California

I believe that my life has a soundtrack that’s constantly changing. When I want to psych up for a wrestling match, what I listen to is totally different from when I am trying to take a nap. But no matter what I’m doing, there is always a perfect song for that moment.

I believe that everyone should have playlist.

This one’s called “Essentials”

Over the hills and Far Away, Led Zeppelin, Houses of the Holy – 1973. When I first heard this song, it was the beginning of high school. I would close my eyes and the song would take me away to a place that was far removed from what was going on; just like the song promises. Whenever I need to disappear, this is the song I listen to.

St. Anger, Metallica, St. Anger – 2003. This song sums up my experience in the wrestling league finals in 2006. I was called up to wrestle varsity because my teammate was injured. I only had to win one match to make CIF, so I turned on my iPod and St. Anger came on. “I feel my world shake like an earthquake it’s hard to see clear… is it me, is it fear.” Was I shaking from nerves or anger? It didn’t matter. If I need to get pumped up, this is the one.

2112, Rush, 2112 – 1976. This song is a recent addition to my playlist. It is an epic 20 minute and 37 second magnum opus. If I feel like taking a mind trip this is the perfect song to listen to because in addition to the lyrical journey, I also get the satisfaction that music gives me.

Once in a Lifetime, Talking Heads – Remain in Light – 1980. For me, this song is about connecting with life’s deeper meanings; seizing opportunities when they are present. While it’s light and poppy, it’s full of promise and possibility. It cheers me up and at the same time, keeps me from getting lost in the surreal world of music as fantasy. This is a great song most of the time.

I believe everyone should have a playlist. This playlist is my way of pinpointing the songs that have meaning for me. While everyone’s playlist will differ, each person has his “Essentials.” Eventually our playlists will change, evolve and mature, just like we all do, and when this happens we create new “Essentials”.