monique-amanda - los angeles, California

I believe in friendship. I believe in the power that it holds and in friends that can turn into family.

The first time I met my friend Rosie I was about nine or ten years old. It was my first day at dance class and I didn’t know a single person in the room. At the beginning of class my teacher introduced me to the girls and then told me to line up with everyone else. Since I didn’t know anyone I decided to go stand in the back. I felt like the ugly duckling that wasn’t accepted by any of his brothers or sisters and was always secluded. No one talked to me at all while we were dancing or during the break. I’ve always been very shy so I didn’t go up to anyone to introduce myself. During our second break I went over to my mom for water. As I sat there drinking my water and trying to re-hydrate myself, I looked upon all of the other girls in their flowing colorful skirts and their hair pulled up into pony tails as they huddled up in little groups gossiping about who knows what. They already knew who there friends were. They had it all figured out. As I continued to sit there I allowed my eyes to wonder until I noticed another girl around my age sitting with her mother and her grandmother. None of the girls seemed to be talking to her either. My mom noticed as well and told me to go over there and talk to her. But I was too shy. The break ended and we were all called back onto the dance floor. This time I went over and stood next to the girl that I had seen. When she saw me standing next to her she turned around and smiled at me. I smiled back.

I don’t remember exactly what happened after that but we started talking and we always danced side by side at folklorico dance class. Over the following weeks we talked more and more. Soon those weeks turned into months which eventually turned into years. And now we find ourselves at the age of seventeen and closer than ever.

We’ve gone through so much these past seven years. We’ve dealt with our strict parents, all those annoying girls that I would prefer not to mention, horrible algebra problems that we don’t understand, and of course guys. We don’t go to the same school or live anywhere near each other but we get together whenever we can and when we do, the memories are unforgettable.

Rosie has become more than just my best friend. She has become family. She’s the sister I’ve always wanted but unfortunately never had the chance to have. That is until I met her. I know I can always count on her for anything and I’m always there for her as well. We spend endless hours on the phone talking about everything from the fights with our mothers to who was eliminated this week from America’s Next Top Model. We treat each other with respect, always listen to one another, and believe in the same things. We know each other more than we know ourselves.

Our friendship continues to grow everyday and will continue to do so for many years to come. We don’t go to our folklorico dance class anymore but we always look back to those days when we were young, in shape, and our friendship was just beginning.