robert - Connecticut

A famous UCLA basketball coach by the name of, John Wooden, once said that “Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out. Personally, I think that this quote is very encouraging to me and is a way that I should start thinking. I agree with this man’s philosophy in the sense of looking at the glass half full rather than half empty. I believe that life is what you make of it and if you choose to live your life feeling sad all the time, then you will be sad and if you live your life happy and positive, that is the way that it will stay. So far, I have tried to make the best of every situation in my life, but about two years ago, a tragic accident happened that started to change the way that I view life in general. It was one morning when my four best friends and I all went on a camping trip. After a fun night of just hanging out and playing games, we finally went to sleep. Being the early bird all the time I went out on the dock to go fishing. My friend Tom walked out as well so he and I both were fishing and laughing at good times that we’ve had as friends. Then we both made the mistake of our lives. We both thought that we should go fishing out on the lake, so we took out my grandfather’s boat, and not thinking at all, we started to row out in the water. All of a sudden we got out to the middle of the lake and the boat started to take in water. After about thirty seconds later, the boat flipped and we both were swimming as hard as we could. When this happened, I survived, but my friend Tom did not make it out alive. The last thing that I will ever remember him doing was screaming for help and that memory will last in my mind forever.

Personally, this was the hardest experience that I ever went through. I am not sure that I will ever forget it, but with the help from my family and mostly my close friends, I make it through life everyday. I think that this quote changed my life and also the way that I view life. It has helped me come to terms with myself and will keep me thinking on the positive side of life.