Brittany - Los Angeles, California
Themes: equality

Females have always been considered housewives, servants, or slaves. They’ve been looked at as lesser or weaker beings than males. In writing, men and women are considered “equal,” but in reality it is, in fact, the exact opposite. I believe in real women’s rights. I believe men and women should truly be treated equally.

I remember the first time I encountered a male that made me feel like I was meant to be a housewife. He was one of my first serious boyfriends. He had come over after a long day of football practice and I wanted him to rest and feel at ease so I made him a grilled cheese sandwich. I made it because I wanted him to feel better, not because it was my job, but he looked at it a whole different way. He told me that I would be a great housewife one day. When he had said this it angered me. His intention wasn’t to insult me, but that’s exactly what it was. My sex had been used against me in one simple act of kindness.

After that event, I swore to never let a boyfriend think that I was on the road to becoming a housewife. I let them know that I was on my way to becoming a working woman who didn’t need anyone to take care of her. I admit that at the beginning the boys didn’t like it. I stayed single for quite sometime, but once I found that person who agreed with my beliefs, I knew that he and I would one day be able to change the future. No longer would a man and woman with the same job be paid different wages. No longer would being a mechanic be considered only a man’s job.

I believe that the law stating that all citizens are created equal will one day be valid. I believe that one day any woman will be able to look into the eyes of a man and say, “We are equal, you and I” –and it will be the truth.