Daniel - Lacey, Washington

Lying is at the root of all evil; no matter what sin it is, all wrongful deeds have lying at their nucleus. I believe from personal experience that lying leads to more lying, more deceit, and hurts everyone around it.

There is no wisdom better than that of which is given by someone who has experienced it before. So this is my story, my story of how lies turned my life into a proverbial hell.

It all started with one lie, that one lie led to another, and another. On and on it went until I am where I am now. Because of those simple, small lies, no one believes what I say, and I am constantly being judged. I lost my best friend because she believed lies that had been told about me, and did listen to me when I tried to explain that those rumors were untrue. I had lost all my credibility, and had gone from using lies to cover up simple events, to having lies used against me like cannons against a ship. And like a ship I am now, riddled with holes, without enough wood and tar to cover up the gaping holes in my hull; eventually, I will sink. I look back and ask myself, what went wrong? Deceit and lies were what went wrong.

There is no such thing as a good lie; saying there is such thing as a good lie is a complete oxymoron. Using lies to help you out of a situation does about as much good as feeding gasoline to a fire. No matter what the problem is, no matter how simple it is, it will explode into an exponentially worse situation.

In these past few months since I told my first lie in a series of just four lies, every lie has been found out. I have been scrutinized like an arrested felon on trial. Every word I have said has been turned against me, and now I am left with nothing. All because I lied to my friend because I thought she would not understand what was going on.

Lying is not worth even the breath it takes to utter the word. I only wish I could go back in time and change what I did, and what I said, but no. I cannot. I once thought that a small simple lie here and there would not hurt anything. Now, however, I know differently. A small lie, a white lie, whatever you may want to call them: they are all at heart, still lies.

I don’t just believe that lying is evil. I know that it is. Lying is a double edged sword. It will work like a miracle when you need it the most, but it will always come back to cut you, and the pain that it causes is always worse than the reason for wielding the lie in the first place.