Kristi - Lacey, Washington
Themes: setbacks

I believe life isn’t fair. Some people are given the chance to take part in something they don’t deserve, while those who do deserve it are left out on the sidelines. Why? Because life isn’t fair. We may spend all our time working for something and even though you and everyone else realize you should have that chance, someone else may get it. It’s the worst feeling in the world, seeing someone else getting something you want more than anything. It’s even harder when that person doesn’t deserve it. I wanted so badly to make chamber choir. I knew I had the talent, and so did everyone else I talked to. My teacher even took the time to talk to me about how much potential I had. During my audition, I did so well, and got a lot of compliments. I was sure I was going to make chamber choir. Everyone thought I deserved it. When I went to check the results, my name wasn’t on the list. I was in serious shock, because as I looked at the names, I saw Nicole’s name. How could my teacher even think of putting her in chamber choir? She can’t even sing well. I wasn’t the only one surprised either. So many people told me they were confused as to why I wasn’t in chamber, and they were even more confused that Nicole was in it. I deserved to be in chamber choir, yet she got that opportunity, and I couldn’t even think of a reason why. But then I thought about it and came up with one: Life isn’t fair. Nicole making chamber choir is proof of that. I’m the one with talent, and I have so much more potential. I should be the one doing the I’m-so-happy-I-made-chamber-choir dance. I deserve it. But then again, life isn’t fair. I truly believe that. Maybe it’s because opposition makes us work harder, I don’t know. That’s something I have to learn. What I do know is that there times in your life when everything seems to go wrong and it’s hard to explain. You sit there and wonder why you get the unfair part of life. It takes time to blow over, but in the end life isn’t fair.