My Philosophy

Roice - Los Angeles, California

I’m a simple person. I—like every other specimen—have desires for something, no matter what it may be. Whether a single cell or a blue whale, we all have an instinct to consume. Although I do speak something that causes pleasure, I am not talking about material possessions or capital. I speak of food.

Food, of course, is the provider of life. But besides its nourishing purposes, food helps me with much more. It serves as an expression of kindness. There are few people in this world that I truly love. For those of you, I seek ways to please you with taste. More importantly, it stimulates one of our five senses, one of our five ways to appreciate this world. It resembles self-sacrifice in every way. First, it sacrifices itself for us. However, it also gives us the opportunity to show our love or appreciation for others. Every night food unites my family. As much as I hate to say this, I cannot see myself sitting around a table discussing my day and the world without a plate of grub.

I have an older sister who is now is college. Considering her school’s 33,000 students, believe me when I say that she has an exciting social life. During one of her weekends home, my sister and I went out to lunch, where she noticed a man eating alone. He didn’t seem particularly sad or depressed, but he was alone. He had nothing to read, and nobody to talk to. She said, “Aw. I feel bad, look, that guy’s eating alone.”

The continuous presence of friends and fellow students might have contributed to her comment, but in no way did I agree with her. Eating alone can be one of the most gratifying experiences I have. My inability to multi-task when eating forces me to reflect. I am forced to think—about nothing in particular—and I believe a productive mind is healthy mind.

My mother once told me the most basic, yet essential, words of advice: balance work and play. This balance is most easily achieved through building discipline. Besides keeping my brain active, I believe that food helps me achieve this equilibrium. It is a reference to maintaining a healthy relationship between the two. In a country where food addiction is prevalent, I utilize what others abuse to build self control.

These things we eat everyday are taken for granted. I too forget how blessed I am to have three full meals a day. But I also observe and critique food. Food is my favorite form of art. Unlike a canvas or a record, it is not kept. Meals are made, and scarfed. We only have a short time prior to indulging to critique presentation, color, and smell. Food is not eternal. My inability to judge food following a meal keeps me from dwelling on the past and focusing on what is more important… what’s for lunch