Skye - los angeles, California

I believe in positivity.

On February 28, 2007, my dad died. I remember getting in the car and hearing my mom say, “Your dad went to sleep yesterday and didn’t wake up.” This was my own Dad, my own flesh and blood. This is the person who gave me my red hair and my Puerto Rican heritage.

Positivity for me is very important, without it I don’t know where I’d be. Probably not in school and probably not doing the things I love to do. Sure, the days without my dad were hard but you have to think to yourself. Think, would he be happy if he knew I was crying over him everyday? The answer for me was no. So it was time to move on and let him go.

When my dad died, I let my grades slip, I stopped dedicating myself to my ballet classes, I even ended things with my boyfriend. All the time I knew my dad would be so upset with me if he saw me like this. People say “the people who you love most in life are often taken from you too soon.” That is true, but you can’t let it bring you down.

Four months later, I still have trouble talking about his death, my grades aren’t that great and I’m not as happy as I used to be. However, I do always keep a smile on my face and I push myself through all my problems. Life is fun and you have to live it; there are always going to be ups and downs but those ups and downs are what let you know you’re alive.

I know my dad is watching me and I know that he is proud of me. I’m much stronger now than I was at the beginning. I have the best mom in the world and I appreciate every second I have with her.

You can’t just give up when something bad happens, you need to push yourself through it. In the end, you’ll just end up a stronger person and it’s worth it.

No matter what happens, I stay positive. I have my angel and I know he’s watching me.