Tracy - Santa Monica, California

I believe that possessions can bring happiness.

I have learned this from my own life experience. This is not a phrase or belief that has been passed down to me from past generations. In actuality, I have listened to surrounding family members and friends who firmly disagree with my belief. Don’t get me wrong here; I’m not trying to say that happiness is solely achievable by possessions. However, I am trying to say that possessions can be very beneficial to achieving happiness. In school and at home, I remember the occasional comments on how happiness is the result of a satisfied (and accomplished) lifestyle. A satisfied lifestyle, what is that anyway? I was taught that it is where you are in your life on an emotional level. Apparently, people factor in my stance of family and friend relationships as the determination of my emotional level. People don’t consider my possessions, or even believe that they are more than what they seem. Possessions bring happiness from their deeper meanings, not by what is viewed simply by their appearance.

My Ipod is my favorite possession. I don’t value its plastic-metal formation, but what it offers to me. I could care less about its color, shape, texture, or even popularity level. I am not interested in its simple appearance or effects towards others. I am interested in its intentions and how I may use them to my advantage.

I value my Ipod because of the unlimited benefits I have found it has to offer. I mean, come on, what else can hold music, movies, pictures, videos, games, calendar appointments, contact information, and whatever else you want to store in its memory. It’s an all in one life organizer. But, you could very easily guess that, the most important part of its memory to me is the music. I guess it’s not so much the Ipod that I love, but the songs that it holds. Music’s inspiration can take me into or out of a mood. Its powers are endless and rewarding. My music on my Ipod is so important to me because I can interpret it however I chose, and I get to chose what I listen to, and when. I value my Ipod because it is the sacred keeper of all of my mixed and meaningful music.

I know that I am a much happier person now from valuing my possessions and understanding their created meaning. The meaning behind the object is the most important aspect. Possessions are only common objects until they are appreciated.

Everyone’s values are different, and everyone can value their own possessions personally to fit their definition of happiness. I have found that my possessions bring me happiness from what I learn to take away from them.