I believe that some rules are meant to be broken.

Maritza - Santa Monica, California

Rules are supposed to be followed to make life easier for us. Sometimes, there are rules that do not make sense. Rules that appear to be in our best interest when they are not.

During my first year of high school I was not satisfied with the math class I was placed in. I believed that I could step up and take the honors math course. Before spaces got filled I went to go see my counselor. She seemed nice and helpful, someone who would understand and help me. She greeted me with a warm “hello” followed with “how may I help you.” I asked if she could please place me in the honors course and she bluntly told me “I do not feel comfortable placing you in this class. I do not feel that you have the necessary skills to successfully do well; I do not want to see you repeat this course next year.”

I felt like a deer caught in headlights. Her response to why she did not want to place me in that course was reasonable, but I was not buying it. I wanted a challenge and I knew I could do it. Hearing those words made me want to be in that class even more. I wanted to change my schedule; I would find a way to make it happen.

The rules of the school are to only put a child in a rigorous course if a teacher has recommended them. Signing myself up for a course was not a crime. The rule is only meant to hold a person back; it does not give a person a chance to realize their full potential. I have broken a rule that is morally wrong. The only person this rule will hurt is myself, if I do not work hard like I am expected to.

I was finally placed in the class and at times, it was difficult but when I needed help I got it. I fought for what I wanted and ended up breaking a rule to succeed in something that was not supposed to be possible.

Although some rules are good such as, not running around a swimming pool because you can slip. Others, such as the rule that I broke, are unjust.