Kiwook - santa monica, California

I believe that life is like golf. From beginning to the end, golf is what constructs my life and through my experiences I have learned that golf rewards those who are patient and profound.

Learning the art of swinging a golf club came with price. Golf was not a stroll in park and learning the rules and techniques was not only ambiguous but dull. Learning process took awhile.

In golf there is always a direction we aim for, a hole we try to land safely in. That hole at the end of every course represents the goal of every player whose dream is to reach the hole with the fewest strokes possible.

Reaching my goal was not always easy. Often I was too fixated on my goals I would forget the hazards, whether it be sand bunk or water, that stood between me and my destination. I could almost grab the prize yet it was so far away.

In my life the hazards were once the obstacles I faced when I migrated to this country 10 years ago. As young man I had left everything behind to pursue the American dream and because of a language and cultural barrier, it was hard for me to fit in with the crowd. But as time passed I overcame my hazards by breaking the barriers that separated me from others in my school and I learned to enjoy my new life. We all faced hazards one time in our life, some harder to get out of than others, but no matter how deep in the sand we are buried or how rough the grass might be, we have to find ways to overcome our obstacle.

In golf I had to learn to choose and take full responsibility for my actions. It was up to me to choose whether I play the ball the safe going around to reach my goal or risk it and try to go through the hazard. The choices we make in life do not always work out but if we don’t follow our conscience and are afraid to take risks we will always wonder “what if.” For instance if there is a person I like but because of rejection I do not take action, I will never forgive myself for not trying.

Like George Washington’s confidence in leading his army to victory I learned to be confident in making my decisions and learn from my mistakes.

It is after I finish my course that I forget all the hardships I endured and take a moment to reflect upon my accomplishments. Golf is a hard sport and not everyone is going to excel their first time. But like life it is by making mistakes and gaining experiences we learn to become better players.

Every time I’m at golf course I set new goals and though the obstacles I’ll face are unknown, one thing I know is that I will always give my 100 percent.