zoe - venice, California

Imagine This…

Stepping out of the stress filled city crowded with people and confusion I step into a steam filled room lined with tables covered with small flower shaped candles and illuminated by small flames. Girls in shimmery gold skirts and guys wrapped in strange cloth and beaded necklaces loom about. People in costume enter a giant stage at the front of the room. They hold long poles lit on fire and they begin to breathe in gasps of fire and spit it back out.

I believe in having an imagination. I believe in places where fantasy becomes reality and no one is judged on their appearances. I believe that having an imagination isn’t immature or childish. Imagination isn’t all about imaginary friends, or small child-like creativity. I am not saying we should all believe in the tooth fairy or Santa Claus. It can also be an adventure, an art piece, or an idea. Imagination is about believing the impossible and believing in something that some would call a waste of time or non-realistic.

I believe that school, education, and work are all extremely important parts of life, but that we should all take aside time to travel, and go on adventures to find ourselves. My friends and I like to attend events where we can let go of all the stress of society, the stress of school, and of life because it lets our imaginations run loose.

I believe that imagination is an art form. It helps me to express myself and broadens my thinking. Without having an imagination, one’s life would be boring and dull. Whether it is sitting behind a desk all day, or simply falling asleep at night, imagination can make life more interesting and keep you awake when times get slow. Having an imagination is important because it keeps the mind young. Writing and reading can help to ignite imagination and impossible ideas can always come alive in text. Imagination creates the short stories in my notebook, and the music lyrics my friends and I write for fun. We can take ordinary stories of love and turn it into stories about fire-breathing princesses and raging mad kings.

From having an imagination, I have learned that life is too short to constantly be in reality, thinking about grades, what college I should go to, and where I will be in ten years. Sometimes it is good to just lean back for a bit, daydream, go to an art show, or go on a random adventure, and see where it takes you.