Kacie - Santa Monica, California

I believe in sleep. That’s always what I’m short on. I always wish that I could be at least a little well rested, but as I look around me and see the dark circles under everyone else’s eyes, not just mine, I can tell that this wish is about as foolish as wanting a castle in the clouds. As I write this, it’s about 12:45 in the morning, and I have to go to school tomorrow. I just wrote an eight page essay on the exploration of psychology in the movies. I still have my contacts in, and my eyes are burning as if the computer screen is the sun. But I have to keep on writing. With all of my homework taking up so much of my time, any moment awake is a moment to work, so instead of sleep, all I can do is look mournfully at my bed and think about the better times when my bed and I were the best of friends. Now it sits neglected.

When I’m having a bad day, as soon as I go to sleep, it all slips away, in that special space of sweet unconsciousness. And when I wake up at the right time, I feel refreshed and ready to go for the next day. But when I wake up on a school day, I feel myself crashing before the day has even begun. As I leave my house so early in the morning, I see other students going to school, and adults making their commutes to their nine to fives. I feel a kinship to the poor people of the city who wake up before the sun does. I can’t help but think how much nicer America would be with some siestas thrown in here and there. But I suppose it’s our nature to want to get everything done as soon as possible. However, with some hard work, I think that this can change.

I believe that it’s time for the sleep deprived to rise up. It’s time to break the bonds of fatigue that hold us in these positions of powerlessness. Let’s make some changes to work and school hours! If anyone can do this, it’s the busy worker bees of the dawn who already trained their brains to jumpstart first thing in the morning. The notion of a good night’s sleep may not be a thing of the past! Perhaps if we all took some time off, and came up with an effective way to make some changes, so everyone is rested and at their full potential, we would all be hailed as heroes by sleepy generations to come. There would be only one obstacle between us sleepy heroes and future glory. Any time we aren’t working, we’re sleeping. So when would we find the time to work outside of work with all that sleep to catch up on? I suppose the glory often found in our dreams will be reward enough.